Thursday, January 10, 2013

Light Posting, and Gravity Lessons

Posting has been light today, for two reasons. The first one is that I’ve been doing real work (i.e. a programming job that pays actual money), and it’s been occupying most of my time. This is good news for Schloss Bodissey, but bad news for the readers of this blog.

Wile E. Coyote: Gravity LessonsThe other reason is that late last night Dymphna decided that the floor needed to be taught a lesson, so she smacked it a good one with her knees, elbows, and wrists.

Here’s the story: while she was sitting there, her foot and leg had gone to sleep without her realizing it. When she stood up, “it felt like ginger ale”, as she said later. The leg went out from under her, and then she had a close encounter with the linoleum.

Her little notebook computer was in her hands at the time, but it actually sustained less damage than she did. She is recovering nicely now, but is still experiencing pain at several major structural intersections. I had to drive into town this afternoon to buy her a wrist brace.

Not to worry — she’ll be back to normal soon enough. However, given that she has fibromyalgia and PTSD, a trauma of this magnitude leaves a somatic aftershock that continues for awhile. What she needs now is plenty of sleep. Her body seems to know that — I’ve been keeping an eye on her, trying to prevent her from sleeping through the entire afternoon and evening, because I’m afraid she’ll be awake all night if she does.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

6 comments:

john in cheshire said...

Dymphna, my thoughts are with you. And whether you like it or not, I pray toGod to take care of you.

Papa Whiskey said...

Dymphna, I am distressed to learn of your accident and hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Papa Whiskey

Salome said...

Dymphna, you are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Get well soon Dymphna.

I was thinking about you and the Baron last week - and I didn't access the internet once! I spent a few days in Richmond (Yorkshire England) staying at the Castle Tavern in the square in a room that had a (kind of!) view of the church and the castle behind it. Decent ale too!

I was there for some walking in the rain in Swaledale and managed to fit in along the way a good deal of 'relaxing' in probably too many Dales pubs. And of course I made a pilgrimage to Barnard Castle.

You'll be pleased to hear (maybe you already know) that it hasn't changed too much.

Sincerely,

IVV

dymphna said...

thanks to all. And, yes, prayers are most welcome. We even have a favorite atheist correspondent who prays for me. His contention is that God, or the Cosmos, or Whomever, listens more carefully to atheists because they seldom speak up very often.

Of course, that's not a cosmology I agree with, but I find it amusing. And lord knows, I'm a sucker for something amusing.

Anonymous said...

" Anonymous dymphna said...

thanks to all. And, yes, prayers are most welcome. We even have a favorite atheist correspondent who prays for me. His contention is that God, or the Cosmos, or Whomever, listens more carefully to atheists because they seldom speak up very often."

Oh, how amusing:) Who knows, maybe that atheist god will listen carefully this time, then.

Hoping for your speedy recovery, Dymphna!