Tuesday, May 15, 2007

No Extra Credit for Telling the Truth?

We just received this email from a Dutch reader:

Dear Baron and Dymphna,

My son came home from school today. I asked him how he had done.

“Well,” he said, “I have had four tests today. I got 10 for German, 8 for French, 8 for History, and 6 for Religion.”

I asked him why he had done so badly in Religion.

“Well, the teacher asked us to name four things that made Islam different from other religions, and I wrote down:

1. They hate pigs.
2. They hate dogs.
3. They refer to anybody who is not a Muslim as an infidel.
4. They blow themselves up for virgins.
- - - - - - - - - -
“The teacher called me out, and said that he was going to give me a 2. I told him that he couldn’t do that, as I was right; it was in the Koran.”

They compromised on a 6.

It took me a while to stop laughing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a documentary on TV last night in the UK about swearing in schools. The headteacher took a very liberal view that it's all good and we can't hold them back and so on.

To cut things short, the pupils voted to permanently ban swearing from their school. The headteacher was surprised that the children held such "conservative" views.