Monday, April 05, 2010

The Machete Intifada

Anti-Semitism on North American college campuses has become so routine that most incidents merit little attention in the media. The nucleus of any confrontation is usually opposition to “Zionism”, and forms around a coalition of Leftists and Muslim supporters of “Palestine”. By their logic, all Jews must be overt or covert supporters of Israel, so opposing the Zionist entity typically segues into hatred of Jews in general, who are thus considered legitimate targets for protesters.

Now anti-Zionism has escalated to a new violent level at Carleton University in Ottawa, with an attack on Jewish students that might have been fatal if the intended victims had not been so fleet of foot. Via Vlad Tepes, the following account is from a Facebook entry by Nick, a student at Carleton:

Tonight I went out to the bars downtown. It was a great night with my roommate Mark Klibanov. Around 1:45am, as we were leaving the bar, and we heard the shout of “Zionist” in Arabic. As it stands now, we weren’t sure if the shouts were directed at myself, a known a supporter of Israel, or Mark, an actual Israeli.

Quickly, we both responded that yes we were Zionists. All of a sudden we were surrounded by 10-15 men who began to shout at us in Arabic. We tried to back out and run away. All of a sudden, I was struck in the back of the head. I’m not sure if it was a fist, a rock or a pipe but it left me dazed and bleeding.

We quickly ran back to the bar and stood beside the bouncers. The crowd of anti-Israel thugs dispersed.

About 10 minutes later, assuming that it was safe, we began to walk home. We were walking through a parking lot when a car pulled up next to us. The driver shouted “I f***ing hit you, you Jew.”

We stood our ground. Quickly we had three guys around us. We were able to push them away. As the cowards that they were, they retreated. Then I heard, shouts of “Open the trunk!” One of them opened the trunk and I saw glistening in the street light the reflection of a 12-inch machete. “f***ing Jew,” he shouted. I began to run for my life as he was only 5 or 6 feet away.
- - - - - - - - -
I ran, and as I looked back, I saw the long shiny blade slicing through the air about 12 inches from my neck. I ran as fast I could and, thanks to my grade 9 track and field training, got away.

People who were around the scene said the blade came within inches of my neck.

Now, the debate on campuses has reached the next level. In this country, people are no longer safe if they support Israel. But you know what? I will never take back my beliefs. I support Israel 100 per cent.

But I will say this. Some of the guys who tried to kill us are Carleton students and I recognize who they are. What is this country coming to?

7 comments:

costin said...

This is sickening. Baron, please keep us posted on what happens next in this story

Baron Bodissey said...

Costin --

Keep checking in with Vlad. He's right there in Ottawa, so he will be on top of this story.

Also, Blazing Cat Fur has something.

costin said...

Thank You Baron!

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

According to Wikipedia, Ottawa has 11,000 Jews. They need to be willing to mix it up with these thugs. There have to be some thousand more non-Jews who would join in common defense.

If they don't stand up now, the day will come when it will be too late.

FinalRefuge said...

I'm from Ottawa and as a smaller city with two universities there are a lot of lefty students around with anti-semitic attitudes.

There is not much that can be done. It is well known that the large arab and somalian communities commit a disproportionate amount of crime. My arabic friends have told me on confidence to never trust an arab as duplicity and dishonour seem to be their culture and way of life.

Not sure about the arab community but there are easily 30K+ somalians in Ottawa. These are the guys that swarm in packs of 10-15 concentraed mainly in the Bayshore and South Keys areas.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that they didn't say(the two Jews) are what stance do they have on immigration. I mean, you kind of get what you sow.

Anonymous said...

RV,

Of these two guys one isn't Jewish and the other is Israeli. I doubt the Israeli has any stance at all regarding mass immigration to the West in general. I didn't have any opinion on that in the past, whatever Europe decided on that matter was fine with me. But I can assure you most Israelis are not supporters of Muslim mass immigration to Europe.

We also know them a bit better than Westerners, including Jews. It's you who decided to paint Israel as the big bad guy and the greatest threat to world peace (a European poll) and the Muslims as poor innocent victims. And it's you who invented the myth that Islam wasn't spread by the sword and that it was ultra tolerant and peaceful religion. It's you who explained everything that happens in the Middle East and the hatred of the West in Muslim lands as a result of the horrific oppression of 1.3 billion Muslims with 57 countries, oil and money by 5.5 million Jews living in a tiny strip of mostly desert land that comprise a fraction of 1% of the Middle East. And it's you who believe that if only the Jews lay down their weapons (and be slaughtered) there will be complete and eternal peace in the Middle East. It's you who fully accepted the Muslim narrative rather than learn from our experience, and it's you who refused to see the Muslims for what they are. So it's you who reap what you sow.