This sadistic, barbaric attack must be one of the strangest terror attacks ever. One would never think, from the killer’s online comments, that he was a mass murderer in waiting.
The killer was right-wing and anti-jihad, yes, but he was not a neo-Nazi (he was pro-Israel) or a white supremacist (he opposed the BNP because they are racist). He was Christian, but not a fanatic (he was pro-gay).
In fact he was apparently like me — liberal right. He was anti-racist, pro-gay and pro-Israel. So how on earth did someone like that become a terrorist against the West?
Perhaps he radically changed his politics since his last post to document.no in Oct 2010 (see below). Can we see any writings of his between Oct 2010 and July 2011?
Mark gives us some context for this latest atrocity:
- The Norway attacks, 22 July 2011.
- A right-wing, anti-jihad terrorist kills over 90 in Norway.
- Worst terror attack on the West since Madrid in 2004.
- Worst right-wing terror attack since Oklahoma in 1995.
- An anti-Islamic terrorist kills more people than in all Islamic terror attacks on the West since Madrid combined.
- It was sort of an attack on left-wingers, but a very strange one. It targeted children who had nothing to do with policy, and was incredibly sadistic, hunting them down and executing them close up. Even targeting the centre-left government is incredibly extreme — they support the Afghan War and the Libya War.
- Note there have been Islamic terror attacks on Norway: William Nygaard in 1993, and Oslo synagogue in 2006.
Mark then proceeds to list what he terms: “The killer’s mild, moderate, anti-jihad online comments”.
In some cases he shows the screen caps of these online comments, and then below his illustrations, Mark points out where he himself has linked to the same sites, the same bloggers, with the same kind of approval.
The fisk is disturbing. It’s one thing to say “yeah, he made noises like…” but Mark is an extremely rational, thorough man. He does not make appeals to feeling; he simply demonstrates with full links and credit the bizarre nature of this horror.
At one point he says:
One would expect a mass murderer to post more extreme comments. This is incredibly strange.
And that sums up the nightmare for me: it.will.not.compute.
Note: There is a place at the bottom of that page to leave feedback.