Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Hand To Mouth

** Fall 2010 Fundraiser — Day Two **

Low Grounds, 1999

Before I took up Counterjihad work, I was a computer programmer (and still am, on occasion). Before that I was a landscape artist. The painting above is an example of what I used to do before my eyes went bad and Dymphna’s illness compelled me to seek a line of work that actually involved getting paid.

For the last four years, since I quit working in Richmond in order to be close to home for Dymphna’s sake, we have been living in straitened circumstances. For the past year, since near-complete unemployment set in, we’ve been living hand-to-mouth.

Tip jarHand-to-mouth turns out not to be so hard, because it’s how we lived for the more than twenty years I spent painting pictures. I was able to sell virtually everything I painted, but never for very much, and we had to live frugally. Dymphna’s employment is what made my “career” as a painter possible, but social work is not a well-paying field, and we hovered at or near the poverty line for those twenty-odd years.

As a result, this is all too familiar territory. I gave up most of my desires for worldly goods decades ago, so it’s not hard to return to that state. Dymphna is already an expert at making gourmet meals on the cheap, among the many other skills of a thrifty housewife. I long ago learned to live without health insurance or significant savings. This is not the best way to live, but it’s doable, and it’s for a good cause.

In other words, we’ll be able to keep on going for the time being, thanks to the generosity (not to mention the gratifying moral support) of our readers.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

The first twenty-four hours of our fundraiser have seen donors from the following Stateside locations: Illinois, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia, and the U.S. Military (APO).

And we’ve heard from these countries in the Far Abroad: Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Slovakia, and the UK.

The current response is especially heartwarming, given that everyone else is living through the hard times we are. A couple of our donors are even living from hand to mouth themselves, so a gift from them is a “widow’s mite” indeed.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions.


The tip jar in the text above is just for decoration. To donate, click the tin cup on our sidebar, or the donate button. If you prefer a monthly subscription, click the “subscribe” button.

9 comments:

Fjordman said...

If you read this website frequently and often like what you read, I would urge you to donate a few bucks. Having known them for some years now I can personally confirm that I know of few people who work harder for free than the Baron and Dymphna, but even idealists have to eat sometimes, and the CIA and the Mossad don't pay very well for Islamophobic essays....

Anonymous said...

Would it not be possible to make an optional subscribtion? Thus allowing people so disposed to donate a little every month instead of the (comparetively) big amounts their conscience dicates once every year.

Dymphna said...

@harskoghedensk --

If you look at the image of the Gates of Vienna tip cup, you will see a button above that picture. That's the subscription button. Our subscribers donate in various amounts from $5.00 on up. Once you sign on, PayPal automatically deducts from your account whatever amount you decide.

By all means, please feel free to be a GoV subscriber! The only drawback is that you get a thank you note from me every month instead of just the one time acknowledgement ;-)

Oh, and it can be for any particular date of the month that you designate...one of our subscribers just happened to pick the day that I have to pay my bills. So when I see her donation, it is a reminder to do so. Now I'm never late!

Dymphna said...

Oh, Fjordman, thank you so much for that encomium!

The Baron's admiration for what he calls your "mojo" is deep and enduring. You, aand others of similar integrity and intelligence are the future for which we work -- i.e., to leave somethign worthwhile behind for those who follow after down the years...

Mother Effingby said...

I love you both so much. All that you do, in spite of your lack, is true wealth to those of us who would be less knowledgeable and forewarned about the dangers facing our country. You tell us the uncomfortable truths that few are willing to do. And they call themselves 'journalists'. You take the slings and arrows that would have made me quit blogging a long time ago.I will be sending you a small tribute next week. Stay strong. Your painting is beautiful, Baron.

The 1st Earl of Cromer said...

Hello Baron & Dymphna,

I have just sent through a small donation - I'm only sorry it couldn't be more, but things are quite tough here at the moment too.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you both for all you do, and for standing up for what's right.

I think Jewel has it spot on - not many people can stick their head above the parapet, take all the abuse, and still be strong and confident because they have the truth on their side.

God Bless you both.

Professor L said...

Baron, that's some incredible work (and I've seen some pretty neat stuff). My sister Rachel does buildings, and she sells pretty well (that link is to her website).

And certainly you're both far braver than I. I hesitate to link to my own blog for fear of attack. Well, I guess it's time to be brave. I don't just do things politics, after all.

MEscape said...

Baron

Is it possible to view art work for sale?


Thank you

Baron Bodissey said...

MEscape --

No, I had to give up painting some years ago and only have a few left, which are not for sale. Sorry!