Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bloggers Without a Country

Infidel Blogger Awards

Well, this is a pleasant, if peculiar, surprise!

I admit I didn’t pay too much attention to this year’s Infidel Blogger Awards. I’ve been busy with a lot of other things, especially the future Baron’s struggle with the swine flu, which has taken up what little spare time I might otherwise I have had.

But I remember enjoying last year’s awards, when Charles Johnson won the Sharia-Enabling Speech-Suppressing Dingbat Prize, or whatever they called it. The comments thread on that category was most entertaining reading around.

And to tell you the truth, I didn’t even know we’d been nominated for anything this year — that’s how far out of it I am.

So the email from Kathy Shaidle this afternoon came as a complete surprise: Dymphna and I have been honored as the “Best International Infidel Blogger or Group Blog ( Non North American blogs etc, excluding Mexico)” for 2009.

My gratitude to all who voted for us!

However…
- - - - - - - - -
It seems that we have been involuntarily expatriated — how else could we qualify as a “Non North American” blog? Or has the Sovereign Commonwealth of Virginia at last seceded from the continent? Would that it were true!

Or perhaps all the posts by Fjordman, El Inglés, Paul Weston, Henrik Ræder Clausen, Michiel Mans, H. Numan, ESW, VH, and all the others have transmuted us into honorary foreigners.

In any case, Dymphna and I will be happy to bask in the glow of our readers’ approval. This is, as far as I know, the first blog award we have ever won.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

The other esteemed winners were:

  • Best Overall North American Infidel Blogger or Group Blog: Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch !
  • Best Overall Canadian Infidel Blogger: Ezra Levant
  • Favourite Non-Politically Correct MSM Pundit: Mark Steyn
  • Most Despised Politically Correct MSM Pundit: Keith Olbermann
  • Favourite Apostate Blogger or MSM Pundit: Ayaan Hirsi Ali
  • Blogger or Pundit most likely to be charged under Hate Crime Laws: Kathy Shaidle of 5FeetofFury
  • The Unsung Infidel Blogger Peoples Choice Award: SIOA — Stop Islamization of America
  • 2nd Biggest Pro-Censorship Ass-Hat in the Known Universe: Barack Hussein Obama
  • Biggest Pro-Censorship Ass-Hat in the Known Universe: Charles Johnson has narrowly defeated, Charles Johnson!

I can’t tell you how proud I am to share space on an awards list with Keith Olbermann.

18 comments:

Dymphna said...

I nominate us as honorary Viennese. Maybe for their pastries.

Or maybe Israelis?

How about Canadians? Then maybe I'll learn to be polite. Make that the most southern part of Canada you can think of.

Of course, the Baron would be off to Copenhagen in a New York minute...fat chance. His speaking skills in that language are...umm, challenged. I keep telling him, "just put pancake batter in your mouth and speak English. No one will be able to tell".

Heck, why not Puerto Ricans and get some good weather? We could crack jokes in Spanish with Fausta.

In the old days, the very old days, I would've said "oh, to be in England"...sadly gone now.

babs said...

A big congrats to you Baron and D.
And yes, I think your work in bringing European news to us through your intrepid reporters and translators DOES elevate you to honored foreigner!
I do believe your blog provides news that is not available anywhere else for an American. Much is the shame of it but at least a small sliver of the population is informed.

PS Do you get any cash with that? LOL!

Steen said...

ups, Denmark should have votes for you. Next year. Here´s apresent for our best friend:

http://tinyurl.com/yf6kuum

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful and well deserved. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Поздравлаю!

Also, you may want to do some spam cleanup on the previous comment... don't think it's really on topic, to say the least ;)

Baron Bodissey said...

FYI everybody -- Natalie is not referring to TB. Until I deleted it, there was a referrer spam comment for "sexual enhancement" just above hers.

Spinoneone said...

Outstanding! Great that you are standing in such illustrious company! And thank you for publishing the whole list, especially the last two!!!

Henrik R Clausen said...

Honorary Europeans? Well, that's a good idea! You'd have to choose a country, of course. Denmark is inviting :)

PatriotUSA said...

Well done and most deserved!
You bring news and information
in a way that others do not.

Here at G of V I can always
find new, accurate and worthy
commentary. The coverage of
European affairs is top deck.

Mikael said...

It seems that we have been involuntarily expatriated

No no no, my dear Baron. You are not "Non North American" - you and Dymphna are Universal! Congrats and thank you for keeping up the good work maintaining this most international forum!

Blazingcatfur said...

"Or perhaps all the posts by Fjordman, El Inglés, Paul Weston, Henrik Ræder Clausen, Michiel Mans, H. Numan, ESW, VH, and all the others have transmuted us into honorary foreigners."

That was in fact the rationale behaind your inclusion in the international category. I should however have been more clear.

Henrik R Clausen said...

The award is well deserved!

I nominated GoV (and JihadWatch) back then, but forgot to get back and so some actual voting. GoV has been voted in by a lot of non-commenting readers, I think.

Well done, Baron & Dymphna - we're looking forward to much more interesting material and debate here.

This calls for a round of beer, too :)

Anonymous said...

"FYI everybody -- Natalie is not referring to TB. Until I deleted it, there was a referrer spam comment for "sexual enhancement" just above hers."

Thanks for telling. Jeeee... I was sitting here wondering which part of my comment exactly Natalie was referring to. :o)))) LOL
Anyway I am back from work and have just opened a nice cold beer to celebrate this award on my own! Skål!
If you guys had been living in my neighbourhood I would have stopped by to share a six-pack!

Zenster said...

Heartfelt congratulations upon this well-deserved award. Gates of Vienna gives all of us something to be thankful for on this day of thanks.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYBODY!

Liz said...

Félicitations!

You should really be proud of yourselves. An American blog, run by a couple of home-schoolers, populists, and genuine southeastern rural "hillbillies", has been mistaken for the best snotty, superior, stylish European blog! I love it! You two EMBODY the American spirit!

No offense to our Euro friends here, but I hope that Baron and Dymphna bask in the irony. Coming from an Alaskan family (Go Sarah!) headed by a warrior hunter father that will quote Shakespeare and Robbie Burns at the drop of a hat, I can relate.

I have always been the most attracted by people who break stereotypes. You have a good thing going here, and I wish you all future success, home or abroad.

laine said...

What Liz said.

Can't improve on it.

Ilíon said...

Let us hope that "Bloggers Without A Country" and not forced to live as the Man Without A Country -- never again being allowed to receive news of their erstwhile country.

AMDG said...

It is puzzling indeed, but nevertheless: Congratulations! :)