Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ireland Takes Two Gitmo “Detainees”

Jake Tapper, ABC News’ respected White House reporter, had the news up last night. I usually read him daily, but last night I was writing thank-you notes until I staggered off to bed.

The Department of Justice Saturday evening announced that two detainees had been transferred from Guantanamo Bay to Ireland, and one had been transferred to Yemen.

The Ireland deal has been in the works since at least March.

The key words here are Saturday evening. This administration specializes in dropping bad news bombs into the weekend news cycle. Do they think we’re all idjits and won’t notice their nefarious activities?

Tapper has been keeping an eye on this since July:
- - - - - - - - -
On July 29, as we covered at the time, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs announced Ireland had agreed to accept two Uzbek detainees from Guantanamo Bay.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen told CNN at the time that “it is incumbent on us, those who called for [Guantánamo’s] closure, to assist the United States now in ensuring that certain prisoners be relocated elsewhere.”

“Obviously we will keep an eye on them very closely,” he said.

Irish Justice Minister Demot Ahern said in July that Ireland would “adhere to the norms of official procedure in respecting the rights of the two men to their privacy.”

Oh, absolutely. If anyone deserves their privacy, it’s the residents of Gitmo. It’s not like we don’t have plenty of information that many released terrorists go back to their field of work. Can Demot Ahern say “RECIVIDISM”? Better yet, can he explain why these two are going to behave?

Some educated guesses by Mr. Tapper as to their identity. I mean just in case you’re a landlord in Ireland and have a vacancy:

The Obama administration did not name the detainees released to Ireland. “Pursuant to a request from the government of Ireland, the identities of these detainees are being withheld for security and privacy reasons,” read a statement from the Justice Department. Amnesty International has been lobbying Ireland to accept Uzbek national Oybek Jamoldinivich Jabbarov, and another Uzbekh.

At the time of his detention by U.S. forces in 2001, Jabbarov, now 31, lived with his pregnant wife, infant son, and mother lived with other Uzbek refugees in northern Afghanistan in 2001 when fighting broke out between the Taliban and the Northern Alliance.

“Oybek was not captured on the battlefield, nor was he armed,” his attorney Michael Mone testified before Congress in May 2008. “Instead, he accepted a ride from a group of Northern Alliance soldiers he met at a roadside teahouse who said they would give him a ride to Mazar-e-Sharif. Unfortunately, instead of driving him to Mazar-e-Sharif, the soldiers took Oybek to Bagram Air Base where they handed him over to U.S. forces, undoubtedly in exchange for a sizable bounty. In a desperately poor, war-torn country, Oybek was an easy mark for soldiers responding to leaflets dropped throughout Afghanistan by the U.S. military offering thousands of dollars in cash rewards to anyone who turned over a Taliban or foreign fighter.”

Before the Combatant Status Review Board, Jabbarov was accused of having “supported the Taliban and al Qaida.”

The U.S. government claimed that Jabbarov “admitted that he was a member of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan,” which appears in the United States Department of Homeland Security ‘Terrorist Organization Reference Guide,’ and having attended IMU training camps.

The government said he “stayed in a safe house owned by the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group,” which also appears on the ‘Terrorist Organization Reference Guide,” and “reportedly is used by al Qaida to obtain travel documents.”

Of course he denies any involvement. Jabbarov says he was just in Afghanistan for some livestock trading to support his family. Innocent-like, you know? Just minding his own business.

The U.S. Tribunal that heard his case cleared him for release in 2007. Needless to say, at the hearing he backtracked on his previous admissions.

No doubt the suicidal Loony Left in Ireland is ecstatic with their new prizes.

Yemen, on the other hand, will either disappear their guy or send him back into battle. One way or the other, we’ll only find out well after the fact, if at all.

To our Irish readers, two requests:

1. What do you think the lunatics in charge will get out of this deal? What do you think the payoff is for supplying sanctuary to killers?

2. Would you please let us know if government somehow manages to misplace their charges? If your government is like ours, you’ll only find out by reading the weekend news.

For the rest of us, let’s hope that this tetched Taoiseach doesn’t decide to take a half dozen more.

3 comments:

Zenster said...

As one of the commenters at the original article notes:

These were guilty people, which three years ago Democrats and Republicans alike told us were the "worst of the worst". Suddenly, they're all innocent goat herders who were only out for shish-ka-bobs and a late movie.

Honest, I don't know how I got into that Tora Bora terrorist training camp that you need GPS, six pack mules and three weeks to get to. Just woke up, and there I was! Send me to Bermuda!
.

Even more fascinating is how the Messiah of Hope and Change™ has consistently extended the vast majority of Bush's anti-terrorism policies while claiming to reject and terminate them.

Gitmo is a vital asset in the detention and interrogation of extremely dangerous terrorist combatants. The notion of bringing such Islamic vermin onto American soil is patently insane. The ACLU is salivating to get these swine out on bail at the earliest opportunity. In a spasm of total lunacy, even our own legal system has seen fit to award habeas corpus rights to these enemies of the state.

Between declaring in Cairo that, "The United States is not and never will be at war with Islam", plus his bowing and scraping to the Saudi king, BHO has signalled Islam that America is at its weakest ever. Scattering Gitmo's detainees to the four winds is just one more manifestation of BHO's malign neglect of our nation's most vital security interests.

Robin Shadowes said...

Just like "swedes" Ghezali and Benaouda these scum can't wait until they get back into combat again. It's incredible how gullible people can really be. Lock them up and throw away the key.

laine said...

The point is to kill them on the battlefield, take no prisoners.

Any word out of their mouths is a lie anyway so useless for preventing future attacks while wasting millions on their upkeep and lawyers better spent on more bullets.

Only "tortured" POW's ever who gained weight and had their religious demands delivered to them with white gloves so as not to be "polluted" by their captors.