Sunday, August 28, 2005

Spam Bots

Gates of Vienna has recently been plagued by comment spam. Regular readers know what I'm talking about:
     Great blog you have here! I’m bookmarking you right now.
If you’re interested, I’ve got a buggy whip-related site which you might be interested in. For buggy-whip related topics, that is. :)
As a result, we have decided to enable “word verification” for comments. That is, commenters will have to type a string of characters based on an image, in order for their comments to be accepted.

It's a pain in the butt, but it keeps out the spam bots.


Hat tip: World History Blog.

7 comments:

M said...

Hey, I passed the test! I must not be spam. :]

I wish you the best in defeating comment spam.

Miland Brown

goesh said...

It is not an inconvenience - most bloggers are going this route

Redneck Texan said...

Haloscan vs Blogger Commenting Systems

Jude the Obscure said...

They seem to be active on Fjordman as well Dymphna. I have been reading both blogs for months now and this last week or two is the first time I have seen this happen. I don't know why they bother if they are real, as no-one would go to their silly sites. Perhaps they are little libs selecting what they see as 'enemy' sites - like kids throwing stones at something.

Jude the Obscure said...

Aren't they horrible, craven creatures Dymphna? Forty five minutes ago I posted an In Memoriam poem for my grandson who died 3 years ago. I checked it out two mins ago and found five of those soulless creatures had left their spoor there.

Baron Bodissey said...

Well, a4g, read the side of the box...

TeaFizz said...

Great blog you have here! I’m bookmarking you right now.

If you’re interested, I’ve got a buggy whip-related site which you might be interested in. For buggy-whip related topics, that is. :)

Ha, ha...

Just kidding...

Luckily, I haven't had any problems with this yet, although I suppose one needs actual traffic first...